Friday 23 August 2013

Geisha / Venetian Doll Inspired Photoset






Hello everyone!

I was inspired to do this photoset by this lovely Pierrot doll I bought this year in Venice.














Pierrot is a stock character of pantomime and Commedia dell'Arte whose origins are in the late seventeenth-century Italian troupe of players known as the Comédie-Italienne.

His character in popular culture is that of the sad clown. Performing unmasked, with a whitened face, he wears a loose blouse with large buttons and wide pantaloons. Sometimes he appears with a frilled collaret and a hat.

My kimono style gown reminded me of the dolls silky clothes which inspired me to combine the two ideas to create a modern geisha / doll style. I did my makeup similar to the dolls - I was going to use the bindi as a tear but thought it looked better like this. I used the background as I thought it looked similar to Japanese screens and did some of the shots in the mirror with a vignette edge to create a voyeuristic almost stage effect.

 Hope you like!

Kate


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh such great photographs I love where you got your inspiration from! And you can clearly see it. Ur makeup looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyou :-) I got a bit fed up of photography so it's nice to get back and just muck about with some makeup etc haha :-) x

      Delete